Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 8 17 5:51 PM

Tags : :

1. If a unit can only partially cross an obstacle do you play it that once the front has cleared it the whole unit has for the purpose of movement? What about cover - is that done based on more than half being behind the obstacle?

2. If you retreat and there's an obstacle behind you do you stop at it like normal or retreat over it?

3. If you have a unit 1 or 2" behind an obstacle it seems that they can't legally be attacked. The attacker stops movement when they reach the obstacle and can continue movement or launch their attack on their next turn. But by stopping at the obstacle they end up within 3" of a unit that they're not attacking.

Thanks
Jonathan
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 15 17 8:03 PM

Any takers on this one?

Question 2 came up again in a game last night when caracole-ing trotters forced a failed morale test on a unit through their shooting and then wanted to follow up with an attack. An obstacle behind the unit which failed affected the distance it could retreat and whether it would be caught in the trotters charge or not.

I can see three ways this could be played:

a). you retreat over the obstacle ignoring it
b). you stop at the obstacle with no further effect
c). you stop at the obstacle and are counted as not able to fully retreat doing the morale test and losing additional figures

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 16 17 5:37 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Question 1. Depnding on who I'm playing with I would normally treat every figure in the unit the same - even if more than half your figures are in cover I would say the chaps in the open are the ones likely to get shot or attacked. You could of course work it out exactly, removing the figures in the open first=10pt and then giving the remaining figures in cover the benefits of the extra stamina point. 

For question 2 I would say option C. Dan wrote about this in a draft of the rules (not sure if it made the final edition, will have to check tonight) probably after someone said the rules were 'broken'. If this happens the retreating unit is pretty much always going to be in serious troble and likely to leave the field.

Question 3. This tactic doesn't seem to be playing in the spirit of the game. I would have thought that normally troops would seek cover right behind an obstacle, not a couple of yards behind it. If I was umpiring a game I would allow the attacker to clear the obstacle once they had previously got within 3" of the opposing unit and/or stopping at the obstacle even if they first had to approach 1" or 2" first.

Regards,
Matt

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 17 17 5:12 PM

Thanks for your reply Matt. I think that option c makes attacking more risky and may make the game become too focussed on shooting. If you advance across an obstacle near an enemy to attack them then you are at risk of retreating back into it and potentially losing more casualties from the hedge or wall than it took in the combat. It would make 3" back from a hedge the strongest place to be. You'd get the cover from shooting and anyone that crossed it to attack you could be driven back onto it and take additional casualties if you were lucky. In the ecw there should be a lot of obstacles; hedged fields, walled yards etc. and my concern is that you would penalise attacking too much when fighting in that sort of terrain.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 24 17 1:08 AM

Hi sorry for late reply, was a tricky one:)

Q1. If a unit can only partially cross an obstacle do you play it that once the front has cleared it the whole unit has for the purpose of movement? What about cover - is that done based on more than half being behind the obstacle?

A1. If a unit reach an obstacle they have to end their movement and may cross and make a full move in the next turn they are successful with a move activation, see page 33 in the rules “HOW TERRAIN AFFECTS MOVEMENT”.

Q2. If you retreat and there's an obstacle behind you do you stop at it like normal or retreat over it?

A2. You stop at it and might take further casualties as the line of retreat is blocked, see page 43 in the rules “RETREATING”

Q3. If you have a unit 1 or 2" behind an obstacle it seems that they can't legally be attacked. The attacker stops movement when they reach the obstacle and can continue movement or launch their attack on their next turn. But by stopping at the obstacle they end up within 3" of a unit that they're not attacking.

A3. Of course we do not allow that gamey deployment prevents units from attacking, that would be no fun at all, and in this case the unfortunate or gamy player has just lost a good defensive position.
A unit cannot move within 3" of an enemy unit unless it is attacking the unit. If the attack move is blocked by an Obstacle the Attacker stop at the Obstacle and may not continue its attack move but may cross and make a full attack move in the next turn if they are successful with an attack activation. i.e. the units would in this case be allowed to be closer than 3” of an enemy, if any of the units that are too close to the enemy activate for a Move activation they would have to end that movement beyond 3” from enemy units.

Best regards Michael

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help