Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 12 15 2:07 PM

Tags : :

Hi everyone! image

Name is Kurtus and I currently live in the fine state of PA here in the USA. Been involved with the hobby for over 30 years now. Have played everything from D&D to Tricolor, WW II to Old West shoot-outs!

Currently I play mainly WW II (FoW, Battlegroup and Panzer Grenadier). I also played a lot of the ancients rules Impetvs, and DBx. Planning on doing some Dux Bellorum soon. Lion Rampant looks realy good to so know doubt I will be giving these a go (I have a HUGE collection of 15mm Feudal English).

Current project is doing the AWI (in 15mm - my favorite scale). My focus on this project is on the "look and feel" of my collection. I am aiming for large looking units with lots of details (kinda what 28mm gamers ask for).

I have several blogs and a YouTube channel dedicated to wargaming.

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_iz4OxHfkD4PUIPUKSAVw

My Wargaming blog:
http://www.forgeandbrush.blogspot.com/

If interested in any type of miniatures gaming in the area... let me know.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jan 31 15 9:57 AM

Well... at the moment I am pretty much limited to playing with close friends. Few years back I made an attempt at promoting the hobby of historical miniatures gaming here by forming the NEPA Warlords (club). Went very well and we had a nice venue for get togethers. About 30 members at once poiunt. Unfortunately the group developed some friction among some of the members and pretty much fell apart! Life for me got in the way for 10 years after that. I have just returned back to the hobby about two years ago now. There are still some remnants of the ol Warlords around locally, but compared to what it was at the time... naaaaah. Not the same.

Gaming is very diverse here where I am. All along the east coast for instance there are MANY game clubs of various sizes who play everything and anything. Historical gamers abound, which is nice; not all GW.

ANyway... yes, I am pretty much an "at home" gamer at present, and I like it that way actually. Between a busy life-style, school, and running two businesses... yeah, I am happy :) I do what I can to support the hobby.

How about you Luddite? What's gaming like for you?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 31 15 11:22 AM

Wargamer in PA!

Kurtus, I was in Wilkes Barre for a few months last year while working as a consultant on a project. I met some of the gamers there, and they have a very active, friendly gaming group. You may or may not know some of the guys already, but if not, I'd be happy to put you in touch with them. It sounds like you're somewhat close to the area. Be warned, though. They'll expect you to bring the beer if it's your first game with them. :)

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 31 15 1:12 PM

My gaming's a bit of a mix. I'm in a well established club (Durham Wargames Group) for the wargaming, but also a roleplaying group, and a boardgaming group (actually joined there via my wife), and of course since i'm married to a gamer we play a lot at home (she's particularly keen on card games).

Then of course there's the national show scene, and tournaments (although its been a year or two since is attended a tournament).

And of course, online is a useful 'glue' to hold what is quite a vibrant gaming scene in the UK (and that's before you factor in the corporate Games Workshop thing).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Jan 31 15 1:23 PM

Altius2000 wrote:
Kurtus, I was in Wilkes Barre for a few months last year while working as a consultant on a project. I met some of the gamers there, and they have a very active, friendly gaming group. You may or may not know some of the guys already, but if not, I'd be happy to put you in touch with them. It sounds like you're somewhat close to the area. Be warned, though. They'll expect you to bring the beer if it's your first game with them. :)

Hi Altius. I am almost certain I know the fellows your mentioning down in the WB. Nope... not far away at all (about 30 mins actually). Some of them (if we are talking about the same fellows - hint: one of them is the "OFM" on The Miniatures Page) were active members in the Warlords club I started years ago. LOL...  I always supply the beer where ever I go. Not sure why... but that's kool with me. :)

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 31 15 1:26 PM

Luddite wrote:
My gaming's a bit of a mix. I'm in a well established club (Durham Wargames Group) for the wargaming, but also a roleplaying group, and a boardgaming group (actually joined there via my wife), and of course since i'm married to a gamer we play a lot at home (she's particularly keen on card games).

Then of course there's the national show scene, and tournaments (although its been a year or two since is attended a tournament).

And of course, online is a useful 'glue' to hold what is quite a vibrant gaming scene in the UK (and that's before you factor in the corporate Games Workshop thing).

Luddite... you're lucky in a few instances there: married to a gamer; member of an established club! SWEEEETNESSS of the Gaming Gawds!

I should also mention that where I am located (here in NE PA) I am at the center of ALL the major East Coast wargaming conventions! Historicon, Fall-In, and Cold Wars are HUGE! NOt to mention some further north in Mass. The cons are very active here. Of course... I haven't been to any in years. Hopefully that will change soon.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 31 15 8:04 PM

Tons of gaming. In fact they are a huge draw. Yes... there is also  HUGE markets as well by traders and just gamers selling there stuff (flea-market as we call them). But gaming is a HUGE part of the cons. Touraments are a plenty, as are the display, bring and battle, and all kinds of participation games.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 1 15 6:59 AM

Without a doubt, Historicon. The society the runs this con is the HMGS and they ALSO sponser the other two major cons: Fall In! and Cold Wars. SO it's basically THREE major historical cons a year. Here is the website with all the info.

http://www.hmgs.org/eastcons.htm

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help