Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 29 15 6:44 PM

Tags : :

Dan has graciously invited me to open a thread on the new Warband Fantasy Wargames Rules.

Here's the promo message from Pendraken Miniatures, who are the company publishing this new set.

We gave a little hint towards this news last year, saying we had a 'first for Pendraken' coming soon, and here it is!

We are extremely happy to announce that the first set of official Pendraken rules will be available very soon, Warband, written by Steve Hardy!

Warband provides all the rules you need to bring great battles between fantasy armies to your tabletop.

Using miniature figures and terrain, you can fight battles from the glorious sword and sorcery epics you've read about.  
You can play games against your friends or competitive battles against worthy opponents.

Warband is designed to be simple to learn and difficult to master, and so it uses a single consistent task resolution method throughout the rules.  Whether you’re trying to get a unit of warriors to move, seeing how effective it’s shooting or fighting is, or how well it has defended itself, you’ll be using the same dice pool mechanism.  You determine the number of dice to roll and each result of 4+ is a success.  The more successes you roll, the better your units will do, and the more likely you are to win.  Simple!

Of course fighting a good tactical battle, getting your units into advantageous situations, and making effective command decisions will mean you’ll be far more likely to win.  Coming up with effective tactics for your chosen army to defeat your opponents is what will take you time to master.

So with Warband’s intuitive rules you’ll be fighting the battle not the rulebook, and hopefully having a lot of fun into the bargain!

You'll be able to decide which of the fantastic races you'd like to command and then construct your force from the lists provided.  
Warband includes complete army lists for twelve armies, with abilities, options, spell lists, and descriptions including; 
Barbarian men, Dark elves, Dragon men, Eldritch vampires, Goblins, High elves, Hill dwarves, Lizardmen, Samurai apes, Taurians, Undead, and Wood elves.

Army composition and optional upgrades are highly flexible, allowing you to build the force that best fits your style of play.  If you'd like to command a horde of bison riding barbarians, rampaging minotaurs, skirmishing ghouls, or serried ranks of deadly elven archers then you'll find something to suit you in the Warband rules.

The rules are currently at the printers and we're hoping to have the finished rulebooks with us very soon.  As well as the printed copies (available through the Pendraken website, priced at £16), there will also be pdf versions available through Wargame Vault (price to be confirmed, possibly £8-10).

To go with these new rules, we are giving our Fantasy ranges a complete overhaul to provide as much variety as possible.  The new ranges will feature larger packs of 25 assorted infantry, 12 assorted cavalry or 3 guns with crews, each priced at £4.50 per pack.  All of these packs contain maximum variety, with no two figures being the same!  Phil Lewis has spent a huge amount of time sculpting these, changing weapons, adding shields, cloaks or pouches, to make every figure different to the last.  As far as we know this level of variety has not been seen before in this scale, so we're really looking forward to getting these released and out there to complement the new rules!

The first two revamped ranges to be released will be the Hill Dwarves and the Goblins, each coming with a handy new army pack built around the Warband rules.

We're really excited about this and can't wait to get Warband released, along with the new ranges.  

Finally, we'd like to thank the author, Steve Hardy, as well for the time and effort he's put into these, and hopefully you'll all enjoy playing with them!

I'm pleased that this labour of two years or so is finally going to see the public light of day.  Hopefully you'll give them a go (as well as Dan's excellent rules of course smiley: happy).  I've got a few posts from the playtesting over on my blog, but of course I'm happy to chat about them here. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 30 15 5:05 AM

Hoping that there's a copy to view at York on Sunday (also hoping that the snow and ice goes away so everyone can get there!).
If I take enough money and there's some available I may even buy a copy ... If I got you to sign it, will it be worth more money on eBay in twenty years time?! image

...ooh, I wonder if I can get my Lion Rampant rules book signed image

my general hobby blog:
my 10mm specific hobby blog:
http://10mmhobby.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 30 15 7:34 AM

RoyWilliamson wrote:
Hoping that there's a copy to view at York on Sunday (also hoping that the snow and ice goes away so everyone can get there!).
If I take enough money and there's some available I may even buy a copy ... If I got you to sign it, will it be worth more money on eBay in twenty years time?! image

...ooh, I wonder if I can get my Lion Rampant rules book signed image

We were hoping it would be ready for York.  Depends on the printers, but i'm not optimistic.  smiley: ohwell  Yeah and the snow is ill-timed.  My village is an ice rink...too far off the beaten track for the council to grit it would seem. 

I'll be making efforts to get out and about to a few shows this year though so I might bump into you elsewhere!  smiley: happy 

EDIT:  They'll be at York!  http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11260.msg144604;topicseen#msg144604    smiley: happy

Last Edited By: Luddite Jan 30 15 11:40 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 30 15 12:53 PM

Yes, I spotted them on Pendraken's FB page and then went over to their forum  
I'm hoping that there's a copy to have a look through on the day, as Leon's talking about all the copies being in gripseal bags or plastic wallets.

I'd love to know how many pages of actual rules there are in the book?

As I'm hopeless at remembering pages and pages of information  
The Osprey rulesbooks are about right for my memory - though I did learn Warhammer Fantasy, and that had about 40 pages
I had a look at a copy of Bolt Action at my local club and there's no chance I'd ever memorise 100 pages of rules :( 

my general hobby blog:
my 10mm specific hobby blog:
http://10mmhobby.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 30 15 2:46 PM

Nice work! I'm pleased you've got it this far - I know what it's like to put in the graft on a set of rules.

Can you give us some idea of how many units might be in an army and what sized table is needed? I'm always on the lookout for new rules to lose games with.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 30 15 3:28 PM

Hi Roy,

I'm hoping that there's a copy to have a look through on the day, as Leon's talking about all the copies being in gripseal bags or plastic wallets.

There will be a display copy for your perusal as I understand.

I'd love to know how many pages of actual rules there are in the book?

The book is about 60 pages (A4). That includes 24 pages that are the army lists so around 35 pages of rules. Personally I dislike 'padding' in rules (especially when its obviously to justify a £40 price tag), so you should (I hope) find the rules clear, concise, and easy to remember.

Dan,

Can you give us some idea of how many units might be in an army and what sized table is needed?

Warbands are typically 8-12 units in size. A unit is a 100x50mm base (although you can use any size you like).
With the intended basing you can play a tight game on a 4x4' table, but i'd recommend 6x4' to give you room to move.

A unit of goblin warriors (100x50mm)

A large (15 bases) goblin warband

A playtest battle

Andrew,

Naïve question, no doubt, but are they designed for use with a certain size of figure?

They are designed for use with Pendraken's excellent 10mm figures. However, they'll work with any figures in any scale that are based as units.
Measurements in the rules are established around the 'base width' idea.
I know some people don't like this but it allows you play games with whatever sized figures and units you have and still keep the game 'in shape'.

Last Edited By: Luddite Jan 30 15 3:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help