Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 3 15 4:59 AM

Tags : :

I'm always on the look out for ranges I've not yet discovered, so thought it was worth starting a thread. For Dux Bellorum, which companies have you been putting armies together from?

I'll make a start with some of mine:

Gripping Beast (28mm Romano--British, Welsh, and Saxons, also used for Saga and various other games)
Splintered Light (15mm Romano-Britons, Picts, Saxons, Irish -lovely models but I don't much care for their horses)
Essex Miniatures (15mm Late Romans)
Outpost Wargame Services (15mm Romano-British, I relly like their armoured cavalry)
Feudal Castings (15mm Picts/Scots, Saxons, and Vikings)

I started up a big 10mm collection but got frustrated with trying to paint the level of detail sculpted on such tiny models.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Feb 3 15 7:22 AM

I'm using Two Dragons' Saxons, Vikings and Normans. I love the animation of them and have had bazillions of them in the unpainted lead pile for years. One day I may actually paint them all too!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 11 15 11:00 AM

What miniatures are you using? What scale?

I'm doing all of mine in 28mm. My Romano-British are entirely Gripping Beast and Musketeer. My Saxons are the same, but include some West Wind and Old Glory, though I've tried to give them all small shields and early style headgear. My Picts are all West Wind and Gripping Beast, although I'm using their early Irish range instead because I like the sculpts better than their nominal Picts. I'm just starting a Late Roman army now, and I've decided to use the GB plastic thegns and Dark Age Warriors with West Wind heads and oval shields. So far, I like the way they look.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 22 15 9:46 AM

15mm for me. Two Dragons vikings that I won in the raffle at colours in about 1998. Almost finished painting them too. Picked up a load of Essex Saxons and Welsh at cavalier today which should provide a couple more armies.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 18 15 10:10 AM

I myself am pretty much a 15mm fanatic. I will be doing some 20mm as well for my WW II stuff. But for Dark Ages it will be a pleasant mix of Old Glory and Splintered Light minis. Fantastic little models I might add.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Mar 18 15 12:48 PM

"Old" Irregular Picts and Irish
"Old" Gripping Beast Arthurian range - Romano-Brits, Irish, "Early" Saxons
Grenadier "Fighting Men" Medievals for WOTR variant, also some Foundry and Old Glory
Qualiticast Highlanders for WOTR variants

All 25/28mm.

Last Edited By: Wingate Mar 19 15 1:43 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 18 15 2:41 PM

Splintered light stuff looks really good but until they get a UK distributor I'm not buying. Getting through the Essex figures I picked up a few weeks back. They mix a lot better with the Two Dragons ones a lot better than I thought they would. Considering getting some Chariot & Donnington to add variety too. Also has anyone tried Baueda?

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Mar 18 15 3:54 PM

NTM wrote:
Splintered light stuff looks really good but until they get a UK distributor I'm not buying. Getting through the Essex figures I picked up a few weeks back. They mix a lot better with the Two Dragons ones a lot better than I thought they would. Considering getting some Chariot & Donnington to add variety too. Also has anyone tried Baueda?

I don't have any Baueda myself, but I have seen them first hand. They are chunky little fellows to be sure. Not sure how well they would mix with the Essex (which I also have a ton of). Doesn't North Star sell Splintered Light? Maybae I am wrong, but I thought they were a source.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 26 15 1:12 PM

I have a plan to use 6mm figures on 40mm bases. I could get 30 or 40 figures on a base which would be almost 1:1 scale figure scale. Is this a good idea or am I just mad?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 5 15 11:56 AM

I like the 6mm idea Eric. Being an eejitt I sold all my 6mm when swapping to 1:1 big battles in 2mm.

Having some 6mm buildings left I'm hoping to Dux in 6mm,loads of 30x10mm and 30x20mm bases from another failed 2mm idea mean I'd be using 30mm frontage.

Just have to stop buying 2mm Ancients first.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 17 17 2:56 PM

DB took a backseat for a couple of years while I worked away from home. I'm now laid up waiting on a broken kneecap healing so thought it was time DB got a look.

Last month I was comparing 2mm and 3mm Romans against the Brigade Models Hadrians Wall,by chance a 3mm strip was placed next to an old 6mm Longhouse model.
Light bulb moment and enquiry sent to Magistar. Today saw the start of things. 12 strips of Late Roman foot , 3 Roman foot command and 3 Roman horse command done.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help