Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Mar 28 16 2:31 PM

Some observations about this game...

- Jeff's Bidowers were outstanding; they performed above their station. Jeff's first (or perhaps second round of shooting with them) saw them inflict 8 wounds on 12 dice. He declared that a major point in the game. I believ he ended up trading 4 points of Bidowers for 10 points of Men at Arms and Yeomen. Not too shabby....
- with his troops ening up quite spread out, he was unable to take advantage of his Commanding special rule. Combining that with the scenario special rule that a failed Movement activation did not end my turn made things quite even in that department.image
- Although his shooting was spectacular, his Courage rolls were ... inconvenient for him. Units routed when they really had no business doing so.
- I have to pay more attention when I am deploying and setting up terrain. I put two nice big pieces of terrain in excellent locations for ambushers which Jeff utilised to his advantage perfectly; and then, just to make things a little more difficult, I paid no attention to his deployment when I deployed my troops.image Idid make a bigger effort to keep my troops supporting each other though (easier to do when you can ignore failed movement activations though).
- one more word on Bidowers; I think Mr. Mersey nailed their rules perfectly. They did exactly what you would expect of them - slowed down my advance by harrassment. Their ability to take units off the table like they did this game probably should not be counted on on a game-to-game basis however.

Last Edited By: Codsticker Mar 28 16 2:35 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 28 16 3:25 PM

We were playing on a 5' x 8' table, so my having to deploy on opposite corners put my forces a long way from each other, however the terrain and my skirmishers were able to "buy" the time needed to bring my forces together. As it happened (thanks mainly to a few fortunate shooting rolls) the Baron's Bidowers were able to knock out about twice their units' value of the Compte's forces.

That was more than I was expecting. My plan was to hold up (and mildly weaken) his forces while I prepared some 'nasties' for him at his exit point. And while this was accomplished, their unexpected success in destroying and weakening units ended up allowing me to then close in for the kill.

Are Bidowers the "killer troops"? . . . NO. . . they all died (and rather easily at that) . . . but they are very useful troops as this battle showed. They are fairly easy to eliminate (and Rob's troops killed them all) but even if they hadn't "fought above their weight" in this action, they still would have served their purpose as the "bought me the time I needed".

I would like to thank Rob not only for being such a gracious opponent, but also for the lovely "rocky area" and "brushy area" terrain markers that he made for me. As you look back at the photos, you will notice the disks on the carpet sections indicating rocky (grey) or brushy (light green) areas. These were all made by Rob . . . and I thank you again, sir.

-- Jeff

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 28 16 11:58 PM

Cod and beer (or is it bear) sounds a great combination.
Great to see you are getting plenty of games in.
I have found bidowers (or skirmishers for Dark Ages) are very useful.  Yes, they are hopeless in the open, but when shooting with 12 dice they can cause real damage, especially if the enemy don't have missile troops to counter them.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Mar 29 16 10:13 AM

Ethelred the Almost Ready wrote:
Cod and beer (or is it bear) sounds a great combination.
Great to see you are getting plenty of games in.
I have found bidowers (or skirmishers for Dark Ages) are very useful.  Yes, they are hopeless in the open, but when shooting with 12 dice they can cause real damage, especially if the enemy don't have missile troops to counter them.

That is a good point about the missile troops. I sent Yeomen and Men at Arms in to deal with them and that was a mistake. I did manage to catch one unit in the open with my expert yeomen Foot but the other two units stayed in the rough.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help