Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 7 16 2:27 PM

Tags : :

Jeff and played a couple games last weekend, rfecruiting out GW Empire forces to represent a 16thC western European border clash. The two forces:
Roberge Leferrier, Count of Moselle
Mounted Men At Arms, Drilled
Foot Men At Arms
2 Crossbowmen/handgunners
Yeomen Spearmen

Otto Von Stout, Baron of Wulfheim
Mounted Men At Arms
2 Foot Sergeants
Fierce Foot
Crossbowmen
Bidowers

The Scenario was Bloodbath, Le Ferrier's Skill was "Strong" and Von Stout's was "Commanding" (a very handy skill as Activations are so key to the game).
Otto Von Stout's retinue deployed to repel the Frenchmen:

Le Ferrier's forces on the other side:
<a href=[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/Codsticker/Lion20Rampant20002_zpsed65orcf.jpg" alt="image">[/img]

Last Edited By: Codsticker Feb 7 16 5:19 PM. Edited 5 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Feb 7 16 2:39 PM

Von Stout's men, however, make good progress up the right flank while the Count's men dither:

Perhaps a little too fast; the Bidowers reach the Count's lines ahead of their support, and just at the same time that Le Ferrier's foot Men At Arms start responding to orders:

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 7 16 2:46 PM

Approximately mid game, despite a slow start and the rout of his Yeomen at the hands of Von Stout's crossbowmen, Roberge Le Ferrier's men might turn this thing around as the Foot Men At Arms destroy the Bidowers and see off Von Stout's Gold Spears:
The Baron's Red Spears however, make Le Ferrier's Crossbowmen pay for their inaccurate shooting and charge into them:

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 7 16 2:51 PM

The last photo I have of the game. The Count's Foot men at Arms run of good luck comes to an end shortly after this photo, leaving only a unit of Crossbowmen and a couple of Knights left who- due to poor activation rolls- finally get into a position to get their one and only charge in of the game:

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 7 16 3:00 PM

Our next game was Defending The Indefensible. After smarting from his first defeat, Le Ferrier decides to seek revenge by pinching the Baron's prized cannon. How hard can it be, right? The forces used were the same as the first game. 
Deployment:
Leferrier's men,  ready for revenge:

Von Stout's artilery guard,  ready for .... something:

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 7 16 3:03 PM

The first few turns, activations are no problem for the knights and foot men At Arms and the flanking force moves quickly:

Perhaps a little too quickly as the infantry support decides it's their turn to dither:

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 7 16 3:35 PM

The Foot Yeomen do their best to catch up but Von Stout's men have already re-deployed to meet the new threat. In the background you can the Baron and his relief force making excellent time.On the left hand edge of the photo you can just see the fast moving Wild Boars (fierce foot):

Le Ferrier's progress stalls somewhat, giving Von Stout time to advance quickly:
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of important events: the Baron's Bidowers and Crossbowmen rout the Count's spearmen, whilst the Count's foot Men At Arms draw out the Fierce Foot and decimate them. In the meant time, the Baron's Crossbowmen and Spearmen re-deploy to counter the Count's stalled flank attack resulting in this end-of-game photo:
Whittled down by crossbow fire, the two remaining Knights charge the spearmen who repel the attack with one of Jeff's few (perhaps only) good dice rolls in melee. The Foot Men At Arms fail a courage test and flee. With one unit of Crossbowmen still in his deployment zone (yes, just one successfull movement activation all game) and the other skulking in some trees on the far side of the battle, le Ferrier (or rather, his spirit, as his earthly form was no more) called it a game.

Despite getting two sound beatings, I really enjoyed the game. We were able to play two games in one evening (it helps that one game was over in 50 minutes!) which was nice. Based on the few games that I have played, more than any other factor, the ability to activate units is key to success. In this case, Otto Von Stout's Commanding trait was gold against Le Ferrier's untimely and poor Activation rolling. It also reinforces my feeling that Leaders should have a bit more control over the unit they are leading. Sure, mounted Men At Arms that do not have the Count attached might be less willing to do as they are told,  but the unit he is a part of, most likely made up of his most trusted retainers (perhaps even close family members) should be more inclined to cooperate (otherwise he wouldn't have chosen them to be his bodyguard!), unless indicated otherwise by a negative Leader Skill.

Last Edited By: Codsticker Feb 7 16 5:17 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 7 16 4:10 PM

These were my first two games of "Lion Rampant" and they were very enjoyable (and not because I won them). These rules are a lot of fun . . . and the action (and presumed advantage) switched back-and-forth numerous times. And a hearty "thank you" to Rob for posting his photos and report (my photos did not turn out very well).

We hope to play again tonight (after the Super Bowl) . . . and perhaps Moselle will gain revenge over Baron Otto of Wulfheim (but I will hope to foil the Count's evil plans).

-- Jeff

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 7 16 4:52 PM

Bluebear wrote:
... perhaps Moselle will gain revenge over Baron Otto of Wulfheim (but I will hope to foil the Count's evil plans).

-- Jeff

I look forward to le shallenge!! *waxes la moustache*

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 8 16 2:47 AM

Well we fought two more scenarios and Baron Otto continued his mastery of the Count's forces (although our second game was quite close . . . and so we forgot to take many photos.

Also we added a 'house rule' in line with Rob's suggestion that a General should have more control over his own unit (only). So what we came up with is the following:

"The Retinue Commander has better control of his own unit than of his other followers. Because of this, if he fails his activation roll (for Attacking, Moving or Shooting only), he may re-roll the dice with a -1 penalty to his roll. He may make only the one re-roll."

-- Jeff

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 8 16 1:25 PM

Lol, I like Lion Rampant but I don't think Lion Rampant likes me.image In our first game, Jeff played Lion Rampant while I watched. The second game was lots of fun but I still came out second best. Time for a new retinue, I think...

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 14 16 5:15 PM

Here is our first game from last weekend. Almost set a new record: about 50 minutes from start to finish for this one. Defend the Indefensible was the scenario, our two foes fighting for control of a border watch tower. 

The Count deploys to the north (actually a very similar deployment to the last game last weekend...):

The Baron sets up on the south side of the tower:

First turn continues to follow a familiar pattern: the Count rolls to activate a unit, fails.

The Baron rolls to activate a unit, fails; then fails the re-roll as well! The Count takes over an advances both the Foot Yeomen and Foot Men At Arms before a failed activation ends his turn. The Baron picks up his turn and rolls well for activations; his troops advance quickly. I decided to keep track of my successful activation rolls at this point. Over a stretch of 5 turns I had 3 successfull activations, 3 out of those 5 turns I failed the first roll. image The Baron didn't quite suffer the same and his troops reached the objective with support:
Here is a shot from the east end of the table, showing the Count's troops lounging around just outside their deployment zone and the Baron's in good position:

Deparate to do something, the Count's Yeomen charge the Baron's Foot Sergeants, but Foot Sergeants in schiltron are a tough nut to crack:
By this time the Baron had aquired the 5 Glory Points required to win the scenario so the game was over. 

For a significant portion of this game Jeff was the only one playing Lion Rampant; I was just watching. As a result, at some point we decided to use Jeff's suggested house rule for re-rolls for the Leader's unit: a re-roll may be attempted for a failed activation but it is made at -1. It really didn't become a factor until our next game- report to come later.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 21 16 2:32 AM

Here are a few pictures from our other game of two weeks ago. 

The scenario was we each had to exit from the opposite table corner (I don't recall the name of it...). As we were playing on a 5x8 there were several turns of movement before anything "interesting" happened.image

Deployment of the two forces in their corners:

Slow going at first...

Baron Otto Von Stout appears bemused at the ease with which his forces have trounced the Frenchmen...
After several turns of walking towards the centre of the table, the forces clash:
The Wild Boars (Fierce Foot) and the bidowers see off the Count's  Yeomen Spear and in turn the Count and his Mounted Men At Arms catch the bidowers:

This is the last picture I rembered to take of the game; several good rounds of attacks by the Counts Men At Arms (both foot and mounted) fail to convince the Baron's stuanch Foot Sergeants to rout who in turn chipped away at the Count's men, buying time for the Wild Boars and the Baron and his retainers to mop up what remained.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 21 16 7:35 AM

Truth be told, Rob's Activation Rolls were abysmal. He really didn't have a chance in the first game because (despite 5+ activations) he kept rolling twos, threes and fours. In the second game, one of his missile units failed its activation four or five times in a row and never was able to catch up.

Still they were fun to play.

-- Jeff

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 21 16 11:44 AM

Despite that, still a fun game though. I felt I was in it right up until the last two turns. If I could have convinced either of those two units of Foot Sergeants to rout it would have opened up middle for me and, perhaps, changed the outcome of the game.

Last Edited By: Codsticker Feb 21 16 9:36 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Mar 28 16 1:47 PM

Jeff and I met up for another game of Lion Rampant yesterday evening. Roberge LeFerrier's son Roberge le deux took over for his father. Although not as Strong as his father, he was discovered to be quite Rash...

Slightly different forces this time around:

The Baron's retinue
Mtd. men at Arms
Foot Sergeants
Yeomen w/ javelins
Fierce Foot
3 Bidowers

The Comte's Retinue
Mtd. Men at Arms
Foot Men at Arms
Expert Yeomen
Foot Yeomen
Crossbowmen

The scenario was A Gentle Stroll with LeFerrier as the Defender.
Deployment:
In this photo you can see few of Redoubt's Dismounted Gendarmes in the unit of Foor Men at Arms at the rear of the Deployment zone.
The Baron's forces split between opposite corners:

Last Edited By: Codsticker Mar 28 16 5:47 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Mar 28 16 1:57 PM

Early on, the Yeomen attempt to flush out the Bidowers:
However, the Bidowers incredibly accurate shooting takes it's toll. In Roberge's next turn after this photo, not only does the unit not rally (that is a battered marker on the tray) it routs!
Roberge decides that he can't simply ignore the Bidowers and since Otto's other units are still quite far off decides to focus all his forces on them.
At this time, the Crossbowmen have also felt the sting of their arrows (notice the Battered marker).

Here is a photo of the game about a third of the way through the game:

The Baron's forces are still well away but his third unit of bidowers (in the trees in the middle-left of the picture) has added their weight.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 28 16 2:14 PM

Shortly after that picture was taken, the Bidowers successfully lured the young Comte and his Mounted Men at Arms into a rash charge into the rough ground, ending up in the destruction of the Baron's unit and eventually the retreat and subsequent rout of the Bidowers. A trade the Baron would be happy to make any time.

We rather lost track at this point and forgot to take pictures. However, ultimately the third unit of Bidowers whittled down the Foot Men at Arms so that they were ripe for picking by the Baron's Foot troops. Though the Baron's Foot Yeomen and Bidowers were wiped out or eventually failed to rally and routed.

In this picture, Leferrier's Expert Foot have ignored the Baron's Fierce Foot and recieve a charge from his Sergeants:
Behind the trees - you can just see a spear poking out- the Baron's Yeomen w/ javelins having retreated from Crossbow fire, will eventually rout. The Baron's men will defeat the Comte's Yeomen who will subsequently rout, yet after recieveing a mere two casualties from the crossbowmen- in what will end up being their final activation- the Baron's Sergeants will inexplicably rout (I think jeff rolled snake eyes- not likely to be successfull under any circumstances...). Our final picture shows the last two units remaining on the table at the end of the game, the Fierce Foot having been battered after their melee with Crossbowmen which saw the last Comte's troops leave the table:

Last Edited By: Codsticker Mar 28 16 4:04 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help