Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 10 16 4:29 AM

Tags : :

I played Dragon Rampant a few weeks ago and really enjoyed and recently picked up a copy of the book.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the enchanted/blessed weapons. I think the rules are fine but for me I don't like them being powerful but random - I'd rather have a less powerful upgrade that is always in play. I know the suggestion is to use the "slayer" upgrade but for some units I'd like a cheaper/weaker upgrade.

What do people think of the following alternative options?

Alternative Enchanted Weapons (+1pt)
A unit equiped with this upgrade may re-roll one missed attack/defence die once per attack.

Alternative Blessed/Cursed Weapons (+2pts)
A unit equiped with this upgrade may re-roll up to two missed attack/defence dice once per attack.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 10 16 10:07 AM

I get where you are coming from . I just feel that your proposal is a lot of re-rolling for not much utility. What about:

Enchanted Weapon - Once per battle the unit may re-roll all misses in a combat.
Blessed Weapon - Twice per battle the unit may re-roll all misses in a combat.

So it gives you an edge - but only once or twice. You have to decide when to use it so another decision to make - do you use it now against those light foot or save it for later. You could make it that you have to declare either before or after rolling. Before would be weaker therefore perhaps more appropriate.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 6 16 8:12 AM

At our club we have house ruled that you roll every time you would use them. This spreads out their luck and also means that they are a lot less predictable. The vanilla rules mean that you and your opponent both know that the unit is going to kick ass all game (or not). It was also very frustrating to take 3 units with blessed weapons for 6 points and fail all the rolls - this is a very negative experience, and puts a player on the back foot for the rest of the game. At least with rolling every time, you feel you might turn round a string of bad rolls eventually.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 6 16 9:27 AM

I think blessed/enchanted weapon is something to use up the odd point or two - not to give to multiple units. So if you have a point spare rather than not use it you can have an enchanted weapon to perhaps give you an edge or not.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 4 17 8:41 AM

jon1066 wrote:
I get where you are coming from . I just feel that your proposal is a lot of re-rolling for not much utility. What about:

Enchanted Weapon - Once per battle the unit may re-roll all misses in a combat.
Blessed Weapon - Twice per battle the unit may re-roll all misses in a combat.

So it gives you an edge - but only once or twice. You have to decide when to use it so another decision to make - do you use it now against those light foot or save it for later. You could make it that you have to declare either before or after rolling. Before would be weaker therefore perhaps more appropriate.

I was thinking of something similar. A unit with Enchanted or Blessed weapons can choose to use the ability, or not. If they use it, then after wards they roll a D6. The ability is lost for the rest of the game unless they roll a '6' (Enchanted) or '5-6' (Blessed). So a unit can be sure of having the ability once, and if they're lucky may get to use it again. Once it's gone, it's gone. 

Your proposal could be costed as a single ability - for each +1pt you spend, a unit gets one reroll of all misses per game. There's some merit in that.

In either case I'd say you choose to use it after rolling.

Another possibility:

Enchanted (+1pt) - Unit may treat one roll of 6 per attack as 2 hits
Blessed (+2pts) - Unit may treat up to two rolls of 6 per attack as 2 hits
Venomous (+3pts) - Unit treats all rolls of 6 in an attack at 2 hits

Last Edited By: Kaptain Kobold Jun 4 17 8:58 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help