Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 24 16 6:44 AM

Tags : :

Hi,

I've a question about Dan's optional rule in Wargames illustrated: 

Sergeants: lf Leaderless, functions on an 8+ not 9+. Adds two points to a unit’s cost and replaces an ordinary model. Is not tested as a special casualty.

I must be missing something.  Whats the point?    If leaderless units activate on an 8+ what benefit does a sergeant confer? and at an additional 2 points he would seem to be a liability!  Nor do I understand where the 9+ came from, is it a typo or am I totaly confused?

Help in understanding this rule would be much appreciated.

Regards
John

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 24 16 10:51 AM

Hi John,

I think leaderless units activate on an 9+ not 8+ (will have to check the book tonight to make sure) so you do gain some advantage with a sergeant (although at quite a relatively high cost).

As far as I understand it, you basically gain a b
it of a dufferabitofaduffer as a substitute 'leader' who will be the last man standing seeing as he isn't going to be taken out by a lucky hit.

I know in one of the drafts Dan wrote that a Sergeant figure allowed a failed Rally test to be rerolled once per turn. You might want to use that rule instead of the one printed in the mag.  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 25 16 9:09 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Yes reducing the value makes sense.   I wonder looking at the Leadership chart if it should not be a 6+ (A good Leader).  Would this also reflect more accurately the 2 point cost?   I suppose it could have been a typo, we can only wait for Dan to let us know a definitive answer.  In the meantime try it and see.

Regards
John

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 28 16 11:57 AM

Hi,

Just to add furtherweight to the possibility that a +6 was intended rather than a +9.  I see in the Traits  table that a Steady trait gives a Leadership value: 6+,  as 'A good officer, the men like him well enough'.  Which could be said for the sergeants in Zulu.

Regards
John

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help