Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 3 17 7:33 AM

Tags : :

Reading through 'Pikeman's Lament' it seems that there are two changes to the core rules that don't seem to simpley be a period-specific change. These are:

(i) The unit distance for friends is now 1" rather than 3"

(ii) A unit which tests to Wild Charge, and doesn't, may now test to make a move in the normal activation phase.

Am I missing a reason why these changes would apply only to the period covered by PL, or are they changes which really ought to be in DR and LR as well? Certainly the first makes deployment a lot easier, whilst the second avoids some gamey Wild Charge traps.

Thanks in advance.

Alan
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 4 17 5:51 AM

Hi Alan

Both these changes were made as we think troops during the Pike and Shoot era were better drilled and were able to form up in closer formations, and that the officers could control their eager troops better.

If you feel like using these changes in you LR or DR games please feel free to do so as long as you opponent agrees to it. However, it should be noted that this was not Dan's intention when agreeing to My rule changes for The Pikeman's Lament - the rules of LR and DR are intended to be played as written. Each is a standalone rule set with its own quirks.

best regards Michael and Dan

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 4 17 6:10 PM

Dalauppror wrote:
Hi Alan

Both these changes were made as we think troops during the Pike and Shoot era were better drilled and were able to form up in closer formations, and that the officers could control their eager troops better.

If you feel like using these changes in you LR or DR games please feel free to do so as long as you opponent agrees to it. However, it should be noted that this was not Dan's intention when agreeing to My rule changes for The Pikeman's Lament - the rules of LR and DR are intended to be played as written. Each is a standalone rule set with its own quirks.

best regards Michael and Dan

Thanks for this. I'll admit that my games haven't featured much wild charging yet, so I'll leave things as written. But my units are made up of one or two HOTT elements, so are not as flexible in terms of positioning as individual figures. A 1" friend spacing makes life a lot easier in that respect.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help